Taught over 34 undergraduate classes during the last 5 years, introduced online homework system (2005), and written seven original real-time, computer-assisted, physics labs with PASCO.
- Computational Neuroscience Concentration
- Biomedical Physics Minor
Research Mentor for Undergraduates
Served as a faculty mentor for Honors College and Neuroscience Minor bachelor essays, and senior research projects.
Awards Received by Undergraduates
- American Association for the Advancement of Science Award to the Outstanding Male Undergraduate Scientist (April, 2012)
- Outstanding Undergraduate Research (April, 2009; April, 2012), South Carolina Academy of Science & Charleston Chapter of Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Society
- Outstanding Undergraduate Research, Department of Physics and Astronomy (April, 2012)
Sponsored by NSF-Career
, South Carolina Space Grant Consortium
, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
, and College of Charleston.
- computational neuroscience
- computational biology/bioinformatics
- nonlinear dynamical systems, chaos, and fractals
- statistical mechanics and thermodynamics
Published three books in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, five book chapters published by Springer (Phase Response Curves in Neuroscience (2012)
, Unifying Themes in Complex Systems
, Algorithms and Computation
, Ant Colony Optimization and Swarm Intelligence
Original research published in peer-reviewed journals: Behavioral Processes (2013, 2013
), Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences (2013), Physical Review E (2013
, 2008), Frontiers in Integrative Neuroscience (2011), Journal of Theoretical Biology (2010), Applied Optics (2010), International Journal of Neuroscience (2009, 2008), Comparative Hepatology (2008), Journal of Neurophysiology (2007), Neurocomputing (2006, 2005), etc.